The following is your fieldtrip pre trip assignment. Complete questions
1and 2. Use a separate sheet of paper. If you need help with the
information, see the JPL web site: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/.
assignment should take you 1 hour or more so donít wait until
of the trip to start. Read the second set of questions so
you will know
what to look for during the field trip.
1. Define the following terms:
a) A moon
2. Identify the following satellites:
c) Geosynchronous orbit
g) Robotic mission
c) Jason 1
Following are the questions to be completed on the field trip and
up afterwards. Type all answers, put them in the order given,
pre-trip at the end, and place it all in a thee-hole paper
folder. You will
need to neatly redraw any required sketches and
place them in the proper
1. Submit a diary of all stops and events of the day. Include
non geological events as well as your scientific observations.
(50 points; note that this question is competitive and only the most
complete answer will get all 50 points.)
2. Give a detailed summary of the video viewed at JPL. (10
3. Give a brief discussion of how JPL started and how the
selected. (10 points)
4. Describe the grounds and setting of JPL today including
the surrounding neighborhood. (10 points)
5. Select four instruments/missions that monitor Earth and
explain in detail
what they have found or are trying to accomplish.
information is available during the trip, visit their home
pages off of the
JPL web site given on the other side of this paper.
6. Sketch and label any of the space exploration models in
Be sure to discuss when and where they were used or
are being used.
What type of data were/are being collected? (20 points)
7. Pre trip assignment for each student in the group with
signature and all
questions answered. (20 points)