COURSE LECTURE NOTES:
SCIENCE | MATTER |
SOLAR SYSTEM |
PLANETS | ATMOSPHERE |
WIND and TEMPERATURE |
HUMIDITY | WEATHERING |
SEASONS | MASS WASTING |
SEASONS and CLIMATE |
WIND WORK |
STREAMS | LAND FORMS |
GROUND WATER |
CAVES/KARST | THE OCEAN |
TIDES & ESTUARIES |
WAVES | GLACIERS |
GLACIAL LANDFORMS |
VOLCANOES | VOLCANOES |
CHON | PLATE TECHTONICS |
CLIMATE CHANGE |
Climate Changes since the Pleistocene Age
PLEISTOCENE AGE - 1.8 mya - 10,000 ya (legal date)
Most recent Ice Ages occured.
1. Lower ocean levels due to ice being traped in glaciers
Changes after the Pleistocene Age
2. More glaciers - Parts of North America and Europe were covered.
3. There were few deserts
4. There were large grasslands
5. There were many very large animals (mammoth, cave bears, etc.)
6. The Mojave and Sahara Deserts had lakes and grasslands. Death Valley was a huge lake.
1. Sea level rose
Changes that will occur as a result of golbal warming (more of the same)
2. Many estuaries were created.
3. All lage animals went extinct - Humans ate them?
4. Glaciers retreated. Only Anarctica and Greenland have them today.
5. Deserts grew.
6. Humans had migration and culture problems, food became scarce - pueblos were deserted.
1. Deltas will be lost with all nutriants
2. Desert will expand further
3. More of the remaining glaciers will melt.
4. Sea level will rise higher.
5. More geasslands will be lost.
6. Human populations and cultures will be further impacted.